Kevin M. Ward, MD
Carraway Methodist Medical Center – Birmingham, AL
Internship and Residency
- University of Mississippi School of Medicine – Jackson, MS
Doctor of Medicine – Degree in May of 1999
- Delta State University—Cleveland, MS
Bachelor of Science in Biology – Degree in May 1994
GPA 4.0 on 4.0 scale – First Diploma
Honors and Awards
Omicron Delta Kappa National Leadership Society – Delta State (1992-1994)
Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society – Delta State (1992-1994)
Alpha Epsilon Delta Premedical Honor Society – Delta State (1992-1994)
Alpha Epsilon Delta Vice President – Delta State – Delta State (1993-1994)
Beta Beta Beta Biology Honor Society – Delta State – Delta State (1993-1994)
Student Government Association Attorney General – Delta State (1992-1993)
Student Government Association Student Senator – Delta State (1991-1992)
Student Government Association Senate Chaplain – Delta State (1991-1992)
Phi Eta Sigma Freshman Honor Society – Delta State (1991-1992)
Omicron Delta Kappa Freshman Leader of the Year – Delta State (1991-1992)
Freshman Chemistry Award – Delta State (1991-1992)
President’s List – Delta State (1991-1994)
Valedictorian Scholarship – Delta State (1991)
Robert Byrd Leadership Scholarship – Delta State (1991)
Elliot Scholarship – Delta State (1991-1994)
Jesse White Biology Scholarship – Delta State (1991-1994)
United States Medical Licensing Examination
Step 1 – June 1997 – Passed
Step 2—August 1998 – Passed
Step 3 – February 2001 – Passed
- Licensure: State of Alabama; AL 24032 – April 2001
State of Mississippi; MS 18539 – June 2004
Professional Society Membership
American Medical Association (1995- 2001, 2004-Present)
Candidate of American College of Surgeons (2002-Present)
Southeastern Surgical Congress (2003-Present)
- Investigation of response to breast cancer cell lines grown in the presence of deferoxamine and daunorubicin complexed to transferrin with calculations of the resultant IC-50’s under Johnathan Head,
PhD and Robert L. Elliott, MD at the Mastology Research Institute, Baton Rouge, LA; 6/93 – 8/93.
- Investigation of “Prayer in Medical Practice – A Survey of Primary Care Physicians in Mississippi” under Nancy O. Tatum, MD, Dept. of Family Practice, University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS: 6/96 – 8/96
- Poster presented at Society of Teachers of Family Medicine in Kiawah Island, SC; 3/97
Published as: Prayer in Medicine: A Survey of Primary Care Physicians. Wilson K. Lipscomb L. Ward K; J Miss State Med Assoc – 01 Dec- 2000; 41 (12): 817-22.
- Investigation of effect of vicryl mesh on hernia occurrence when incorporated into wound closure after open Roux en Y gastric bypass; Retrospective review of 241 patients under the direction of Henry Laws, MD: 2/02 – 4/02
- Abstract presented at Carraway Resident Research Day 6/8/02: Incisional Hernia Following Incorporation of Vicryl Mesh Into Wound Closure in Morbidly Obese Patients.
- May Thurner’s Syndrome in adolescent siblings…Case reports of rare syndrome in siblings. Abstract presented at Carraway Surgical Society Meeting, 4/30/04
- Research Associate/Lab Technician – 10 week fellowship at the Mastology Research Institute, Baton Rouge, LA; 6/93- 8/93
- Surgical Pathology Technician at University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS; 6/94- 7/95.
- Intern and Surgical Resident at Carraway Methodist Medical Center, Birmingham, AL; 6/99 – 6/04.
- Practicing Physician at Rush Medical Group; Meridian, MS: 8/04 – Present.